Black Friday is not only big in the US! In Germany, 89% of respondents know the term Black Friday, and also Cyber Monday is popular among the millions of bargain hunters. It’s no surprise then, that buyers are looking forward to these days for weeks.
Don’t miss out on these sales-boosting event. Many online shops and tour operators offer their discount campaigns and special offers even over the course of several weeks. Four days quickly turn into whole discount weeks. In Germany, especially in e-commerce, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are some of the most lucrative days of the year, right after Christmas. Particularly, the target group of 25-44-year-olds is enthusiastic about shopping on these days. That makes it even more important, especially for online retailers, to start with their marketing activities right now.
If you want to take advantage of Black Friday on November 23rd and the upcoming weeks, we recommend you use your email marketing for creative email campaigns on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Before moving on to actual tips for retailers and marketers, sit back and let a few facts and numbers speak for themselves.
Some interesting facts and figures:
- Black Friday takes place on November, 24 1961 in the USA for the first time.
- 40 years later, Cyber Monday follows on December 1, 2003.
- In 2016, the turnover on a single day amounts to 3.34 billion US dollars!
- 31.38 billion U.S. dollars revenue within these four days.
- 36% of online purchases on Black Friday are made via mobile devices.
- In 2016, more than 1 billion dollars revenue generated via mobile devices.
- Email campaigns increase by 55% in 2016 compared to 2015.
- In November 2016, emails account for 18.1% of online revenues.
- Between Thanksgiving (Thursday) and Cyber Monday, nearly 140 million products are sold worldwide by marketplace retailers alone
Black Friday is coming to Germany.
Retailers may get all excited. After Valentine’s Day and Halloween, Black Friday and Cyber Monday have become firmly established in Germany. But unlike in the US, over here Black Friday takes place mostly online. The most-wanted products are household appliances, fashion, food and cosmetics. But also travel, sports and leisure articles are very popular with buyers these days.
One more reason to start your email campaign on time for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- By 2016, 44% of all shoppers were already using Black Friday for reduced purchases. On Cyber Monday the figure was 38%. And the trend is rising!
- In 2017, a total turnover of approx. 1.7 billion euros was achieved.
- People spend more money on the Internet than in stationary retail.
- Consumers between 25 – 44 years spend larger sums than people of other age groups.
- For 2018, experts assume that a turnover of 2 billion euros will be achieved in Germany and Austria.
Black Friday as a trademark.
In 2013, Black Friday was registered at the German Patent and Trade Mark Office (DPMA) as a trademark for around 1000 articles and services. Since many companies advertised Black Friday at this time and also afterwards, there was a hail of warnings. This caused to give offence to many retailers. Over the years, numerous cancellation registrations were filed. As a result, the trademark was cancelled by the DPMA at the end of March 2016. Because of its lack of distinctive character and because Black Friday, such as Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day, had become a common term. The Hong Kong company then lodged a complaint. Because of this, the decision is not final and Black Friday is still effective as a trademark.
However, don’t be deterred from advertising your offers and discounts in your newsletters before and during Black Friday!
For your newsletter campaign and other promotions, do without the name Black Friday and simply invent another name. Get creative!
Special offer Friday!
Red Friday (choose a color that matches your CI)
Black Deal Days.
Use Black Friday and Cyber Monday for your email marketing and plan awesome email campaigns in good time. In our next articles, we’ll give you numerous tips and examples and show you how you can use your email marketing for Black Friday creatively and professionally. Stay curious!