Tags as Triggers in Email Automation
Tags as triggers in email marketing: Always the right newsletter campaign for your customers through automatically triggered email campaigns
Use the benefits tag-based email marketing offers for your subscribers and send personalized newsletters your recipients love!
Right after a Double-Opt-In, open rates are exceptionally high as your recipient has expressly said “YES” to your newsletter. At this stage, every email with information or news is highly welcome. Benefit from this thirst for news and prepare a multi-level newsletter campaign that is triggered by tags. Tagging means that recipients are automatically tagged with certain keywords. For example, shop customers who subscribe to your newsletter will receive the tag “Shop1-NG-Newsletter_recipients”.
- Tagging works automatically in our shop interfaces. The tag serves as a trigger for automation workflows. The result: Your new recipient automatically gets a series of welcome emails. You’re completely free to design the content and workflows just the way you like them.
- Currently, the automatic addition of tags only works when transferring new recipients via one of our shop interfaces (REST API V2 and V3).
Good to know: Our “Tagging” feature is available to all our customers – No matter what price plan they have!
1. Newsletter subscription
- A shop visitor subscribes to your newsletter with the data privacy compliant CleverReach® Double-Opt-In form on your shop homepage. The new subscriber will then automatically receive a confirmation email.
Tip: Offer incentives for more purchases! Giving discounts on a subscriber’s first purchase is always a good way to go. Highlight this at a suitable point, for example during the checkout process.
- As soon as the new subscriber has completed the DOI process by clicking on the confirmation link, they are transferred to the CleverReach® list as a “recipient” and tagged automatically. In the case of a Shopware customer, the tag “SW-NG-Newsletter_recipients” is set. The abbreviations are:
- SW= Shopware
- NG = Newsletter Group
3. Trigger automation workflow
- The tag “SW-NG-Newsletter_recipients” is automatically transmitted via the interface (via REST). This is the trigger that starts the automation workflow you’ve created beforehand.
- CleverReach® now sends out the corresponding email campaign.
- After a newsletter subscription, it makes sense to first send a welcome email to welcome your new newsletter recipient and give them a welcome discount as a welcome gift.
- Further emails will follow at predetermined intervals, for example with news for newsletter subscribers only.
4. What you need to know about triggers
The tag trigger only starts a workflow under certain conditions:
- When a new tag is set. If the tag already exists, the workflow is not triggered
- If the tag is transferred automatically (via REST API). If the tag is set manually for a recipient in the backend, this has no effect at first.
- Only for individual recipients. If several recipients are transmitted automatically (via REST API) simultaneously (in a so-called REST call), the trigger is NOT triggered for security reasons. Otherwise, all recipients would become a part of the respective workflow during the initial import via interface. The result: Even long-standing newsletter subscribers would receive your welcome series again. Tagging is exclusively intended for targeting individual recipients.
- Tags must be auto transmitted (via REST interface) via the respective group function. There is also a function for setting tags in the receiver area, but this does not work (on purpose!!!!), since there is no group assignment here.
5. Tips for tag-triggered welcome series for your online shops
- Your welcome series should not differ too much from the style and content of your regular newsletters – it should rather match the branding of your shop.
- Make sure you address your recipients personally to increase the relevance of your newsletters. This way, online retailers establish a personal relationship with their recipients, comparable to greeting new customers in a shop with a handshake.
- Let the company owner or real employees greet your new subscriber, with texts and images matching your shop. No need to say that your customers should have to possibility to contact the sender of your emails instead of being stuck with a no-reply address.
- It’s helpful to get to know your customers to always send them the perfect offers. Integrate some simple questions into your welcome series, e.g. ask for your recipient’s birthday, favorite place to visit or place of residence.
- Vice versa, you help your recipients to get to know your offers and product range better. A welcome series is perfect for this. For example, inform your subscribers about shipping costs, return conditions and special services.
Get started for free with CleverReach®!
- up to 2,500 recipients
- and send up to 10,000 emails per month for free!
Our free price plan has no limited running-term. There is no setup fee and no contractual obligations.
If you need to send more mailings you can choose between our prepaid plan and our flat rate. Our price plan calculator will tell you which plan is the best for you!